It is one of the most important shrines of goddess Kali in the country. The temple was originally build in 1809, at Kalighat of the banks of the river Hoogly (ganga) and was renovated in 1971. It enshrines an awe-inspiring idol of goddess Kali made of black stone and is decorated with gold and silver. The annual ceremonial bath of the idol on the snanyatra day, attracts thousands of devotees to the temple.
Some researchers also believe that the name Kolkata originated from the word Kalighat. The Keoratala Crematorium is located near the temple, where the mortal remains of many great citizens have been assigned to the flames.